Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Panda" -3-plate Lino block print -by Jlynn Peterson (copyright)

I love printing methods, etchings, lithography, lino, woodblock, mono prints and sidelines like painting with a brayer. I used to use oil-based inks but switched to non-toxic water based inks which are not quite as rich in color, but are lots safer to use. My professor in grad school had used all the chemicals required in printmaking for about 35 years; one day they told him he had cancer and he died within a month. Moishe Smith was internationally known for his fantastic and very large etchings and the art world lost a wonderful artist too early. Some of the media we artists use are very dangerous and most of us give little thought to our safety....be careful! (last painting I was working on my young cat, Sherm, bounded up on the table landing right in my palette and of course what he put his paw in was alizarin crimson! I yelled at him, he took off and I spent the next 1/2 hour cleaning cat, table, floor, etc. NOW when I paint, Sherm resides behind the bathroom door until I let him out - he hasn't yet figured out how to unlock the door but he's working on it!)

1 comment:

  1. Great, I didn't know you do also woodcuts! I like this one!

    ReplyDelete